PM lays the foundation of seven new cancer hospitals in Assam
May 01, 2022
Hon’ble Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation of seven cancer hospitals at an event held at Dibrugarh, Assam on 27th April 2022. The location of these hospitals is Kokrajhar, Jorhat, Lakhimpur, Tezpur, Dibrugarh, Barpetta, and Darran respectively. The Prime Minister visited the premises of Dibrugar’s new hospital and dedicated the new facility to the progress of the nation. Several other dignitaries such as Governor of Assam Shri Jagdish Mukhi, Chief Minister of Assam Shri Himanta Biswa Sarma, Industrialist Shri Ratan Tata, Rajya Sabha Member, and former CJI, Shri Ranjan Gogoi were also present at the event.
On the occasion, the PM acknowledged the festive spirit of the season and paid his respect and homage to the great sons and daughters of Assam who have contributed to the progress of the country. The PM praised the inauguration of these Cancer Institutes as an effort to complement the healthcare sector across the North-East. Talking about the severity of Cancer, he said that such institutes shall support the poor and middle-class families which are most affected.
He also acknowledged the efforts of Tata Trust and the Government of Assam for taking appropriate steps to solve the need for a cancer specialized hospital in Assam. The PM also spoke about the budget for 2022-23 which has a core focus specifically on Cancer treatment.
He also discussed ‘Swasthya ke Saptarishisi’ and all the efforts of the Government to streamline preventive healthcare. Some focus points that he emphasized included:
- Fitness and Yoga related programs
- Diagnosing the disease in the early stage itself. To achieve this, the Government has built lakhs of new testing centers all across the country.
- Better home first aid facilities. Primary health centers are being improved across cities to achieve the same.
- Ayushman Bharat scheme which enables the poor to get free treatment of up to INR 5 lakh rupees in the best hospitals.
- Government is also focusing on minimizing the dependence on big cities for appropriate treatment. He also mentioned the fact that by 2014, there were only 7 AIIMS hospitals in the country whereas today we have 16 fully operational facilities of AIIMS in the country.
- Addressing the problem of shortage of doctors.
- Digitization in the field of healthcare is also being addressed by the Government. The Government’s ambition is to provide appropriate treatment to all the citizens of the country without any restrictions. This initiative also supports the ‘One Nation, One Health’ vision that strengthened the country to face the COVID-19 pandemic.
PM Modi assured the citizens that the Government is working towards surpassing barriers faced by the people of Assam concerning Cancer treatment.
Source link: https://www.pib.gov.in/PressReleasePage.aspx?PRID=1820983