To celebrate Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav to mark the 75th anniversary of India's independence, the Department of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation, Ministry of Jal Shakti in collaboration with National Dam Safety Authority and Central Water Commission, Gandhinagar organized an outreach programme under the aegis of "Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav(AKAM)" on the theme " Promoting Dam Tourism" at Sardar Sarovar Dam.
The following activities were performed:
- Mass Awareness Rally/March on Water Conservation, Water Pollution, and cleanliness of water bodies from Shri Bhimrao Ambedkar Chowk to Shrestha Bharat Bhavan and around by School students, CWC staff, Sardar Sarovar Narmada Nigam Limited (SSNNL) staff & Statue of Unity Area Development & Tourism Governance Authority (SoUADTGA) staff involving the local community.
- "Nukkad Natak" for awareness of Water Resource availability & its development and bringing emphasis on improved water resource management through focus on demand side management.
- "Tree Plantation campaign" near Sardar Sarovar Dam in association with officials of Forest Dept., Govt. of Gujarat, SSNNL etc. to sensitize common people regarding the role of trees with regard to water conservation, improving water quality and quantity, reduce soil erosion, water infiltration, groundwater recharge and increase in biodiversity in the area.
- The event saw the active participation of the departmental staff and senior leaders. Around 400 participants from the neighbouring locality came to participate in the event.
- Promotion of the local traditions/culture & awareness through Street play/Cultural Events/ musical performances/ stage performances etc. A large cross-section of people representing different demographic age groups attended the event.
- Mass awareness programme through Drawing competition of school children with the theme of saving water/ importance of dams towards water etc. at “Dam viewpoint” followed by a cultural programme by school children & prize distribution.
- Awareness through Exhibitions on themes such as Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav, the Importance of Dams in the country’s development, CWC activities, Water Availability, Dam Safety, Water Conservation, Pollution, Sardar Sarovar Dam, Narmada Main Canal etc., Participation by the local community through Local Food/handicraft stalls etc.
MLA from Nandod Ms Darshana Deshmukh & Secretary, Water Resources Department, Govt. of Gujarat were special invitees for the programme.