To celebrate Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav to mark the 75th anniversary of India's independence, the Department of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation, Ministry of Jal Shakti in collaboration with National Dam Safety Authority, Central Water Commission and Andaman Public Works Department organized an outreach programme under the aegis of "Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav(AKAM)" on the theme " Promoting Dam Tourism" at Kalpong Dam.
The following activities were performed:
- Awareness Programme on Improved water resources management to Stake holders of Kalpong Dam command.
- "Mass Awareness March" on Water Conservation, Water Pollution, and cleanliness of water bodies.
- "Tree Plantation campaign" near Kalpong Dam to sensitize common people regarding the role of trees with regard to water conservation, improving water quality and quantity, reducing soil erosion, water infiltration, groundwater recharge and increase in biodiversity in the area.
- Organization of lake festival-Grameena cultural activities with the involvement of common people and local authorities thereby promoting the local traditions/culture & increasing awareness through dance performances /Cultural Events/ musical performances/ stage performances etc. A large cross-section of people representing different demographic age groups attended the event.
- Painting competition of school children on the theme of water conservation/ importance of dams towards water etc. at “Dam viewpoint” followed by a cultural programme by school children & prize distribution was organized to create awareness among the common people regarding the importance of water and dam.
- Departmental staff, senior leaders, school children, local bodies etc participated in the event with great enthusiasm. Around 300 participants from the neighbouring locality came to participate in the event.