M. Veeraraghavachariar was born in 1857, at Attur in the Chengalpattu district. He studied schooling and graduated in Madras. In 1878, Veerarahavachariar and four of his friends - G. Subramania Iyer, T.T. Rangachariar, P.V. Rangachariar, D. Kesava Rao Panthulu, and N. Subba Rao Panthulu, who later became popular in history as The Triplicane six - founded the English language newspaper, The Hindu. When in the exciting days of Lord Lytton’s Viceroyalty, public feeling ran high against his administration and Madras had no means of expressing organized public opinion, six ardent young men including Veeraragahavachariar and G. Subramanya Iyer conceived the idea of starting a well-conducted Indian newspaper in place of the defunct Native Opinion. As an editor, he was intimately associated with every movement, not merely in South India but throughout India, which had for its object the material and political advancement of his countrymen. On 16 May 1884, in association with two others, he brought into existence a public organization called the ‘Mahajana Sabha’ to give vent to popular discontent against the harsh measures of the British Indian Government and continued to serve that great institution for many years as joint secretary. He was one of the six representatives of that sabha, who attended the first session of the Indian National Congress held in Bombay. In 1887, and 1894, when the Indian National Congress held its sessions at Madras, he served as its Joint Secretary. He addressed many public meetings to point out the defects in some of the Acts of the British Parliament connected with India and pleaded for nomination connected with Indian non-officials in the Legislative Council. Veeraragahavachariar carried on the burdensome task of running the paper till he fell ill and had to retire in 1905, selling The Hindu to Kasturi Ranga Ayyangar. He died on 6 October 1906.