Unsung Heroes | History Corner | Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav, Ministry of Culture, Government of India

Unsung Heroes Detail

Unsung Heroes Detail

P. R. Ghosh

South Andaman, Andaman & Nicobar Islands

August 05, 2022

P. R. Ghosh hailed from Bengal. He was an employee of the Post and Telegraph Department at Port Blair.

During the Second World War in the month of March 1942, the Japanese landed at different spots on the Andaman Islands. They forthwith occupied the entire Andaman Islands. The prominent residents were the key persons to initially constitute the Andaman branch of the Indian Independence League in April 1942 following the path of Rash Behari Bose. P. R. Ghosh voluntarily joined the Indian Independence League and became an active member of the League. The League members worked with the objectives of organizing, strengthening, and collecting funds for the League. They also motivated the people through extensive public meetings, cultural shows, patriotic songs, and dramas, etc. These activities helped in uniting the islanders and igniting in them a strong sense of nationalism against British imperialism. Under the Indian Independence League, different sister branches were formed such as Sewa Samiti, Cultural Wing, and Peace Committee. P. R. Ghosh contributed actively to the expansion of the League involving a large number of people in villages.

During the mass arrest of the League members in 1943, P. R. Ghosh was also arrested and incarcerated in the Cellular Jail. He was mercilessly beaten to confess that he was a British Spy, but he did not accept the false allegation before them.

Meanwhile, Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose arrived in the Andaman Islands on 29 December 1943 and left on 31 December. He visited Cellular Jail on 30 December, but he was deliberately not taken to the jail wing in which P. R. Ghosh and others were receiving torture by the Japanese. After the departure of Netaji, a large number of the Indian Independence League (IIL) and Indian national army (INA) members were targeted to be arrested and rounded up.

On 30 January 1944, a list of 44 members of the Indian Independence League was finalized. Accordingly, all the 44 persons were taken out of the jail and massacred at Homfraygunj hillock. On the same day after their return from the place of massacre, P. R. Ghosh and a few others were surprisingly released by the Japanese forces.