Unsung Heroes | History Corner | Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav, Ministry of Culture, Government of India

Unsung Heroes Detail

Unsung Heroes Detail

Mohammed Baksh

South Andaman, Andaman & Nicobar Islands

August 05, 2022

Mohammed Baksh, son of Allah Baksh was born on 19 December 1925 in Port Blair.

During the Second World War in March 1942, the Japanese landed in different parts of the Andaman Islands and forthwith occupied the entire populated and administrative parts of the Andaman Islands. The prominent residents initially constituted the Andaman branch of the Indian Independence League in April 1942 following the path of Rash Behari Bose. In June 1942 the Indian National Army (INA) was also formed in the Andaman joined by the prominent residents of the islands. His elder brother Kadar Baksh was among those residents to join the Indian National Army (INA). Mohammed Baksh joined the Indian National Army in February 1944.

Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose arrived in the Andaman Islands on 29 December 1943. He received a Guard of Honor in the form of a parade by the Indian National Army (INA) members at the Lamba Line airport on his arrival. The next day, on 30 December at Gymkhana On the ground of Port Blair he hoisted the Indian flag for the first time in the history of India’s freedom struggle. On this day too, the Indian National Army (INA) members presented Parade in respect of him. Netaji left Andaman on 31 December 1943.

Netaji sent Major General Arcot Doraiswamy Loganadan to Andaman. He arrived on 18 February 1944 in the Andamans as Chief Commissioner of Azad Hind Government of Andaman and Nicobar Islands were appointed by Netaji. He was accompanied by his staff consisting of Major Mansoor Ali Alvi, Lieutenant Mohammed Iqbal, Lt. Suba Singh, and steno-typist Mr. Srinivasa Shastri. The Azad Hind Government started to carry out civil administration in the islands. Mohammed Baksh and other Indian National Army (INA) members were actively involved in the functions of the Azad Hind Government.

On the mass arrest of the personnel of the Indian National Army (INA), he was also arrested by the Japanese forces along with other INA members and incarcerated in Cellular Jail where he faced continuous trial and torture to confess that he was a British Spy. Eventually, he was released in November 1944 after three months of trial and torture.